Before We Proceed:
Following are the list of topics covered in this blog:
- What is an IP address?
- What is the location of my IP address?
- How do I find my servers’ IP address?
- How do I find my IP address on my phone?
- How do I find my Wi-Fi routers IP address?
What is an IP address?
No internet communication can exist without an IP address. IP address which is known in full as Internet Protocol address is a combination of regulating principles that control internet related matters. Via identification between devices and destinations, Internet Protocol address examines online communication.
It allots a form of numerical identification to every devise so that each of the devise can communicate interactively with other devices in the Internet protocol network. It is important to know that every communicating device comes with IP address.
This communication protocol is saddled with the responsibility of searching and exchanging of information between two devices. In essence, no information can be sent without an IP address as it is the basis for networking. A standard IP address is usually represented by four numbers with a decimal point separating each number. The IP address has two main functions. They include; Locating and Identification. Each having its own distinctive function. Through the locating system, one can identify a position and through the identification system, computers are able to connect together, share and exchange information.
What is the location of my IP address?
Locating is an inevitable part of the IP address. Using a technical term, it can be called Geolocation. Geolocation seeks to identify the position of internet connected terminals like phones, computers geographically. Geolocation generates coordinates. These coordinates are used to figure out a location, place, city or a position.
The location or position of a device is where the device can be seen at the moment of being connected to the internet. That location is the public IP address of a computer device. Usually, IP address do not give exact location of computer network though not impossible. It is more concerned about figuring out physical sites rather than actual or specific ones. More so, the similarity between home address and IP address is not exactly true. Most times, one might end up estimating while trying to locate.
The Location of your IP address is based on the position of your device. So, to figure out the location of your IP address, one can check out What is my IP Address then follow the guidelines placed on the website. Reciprocally, one can just input ‘My IP address’ on Google search and wait for expected result. When the site opens, some of the keywords that would be consecutively seen include; Time-zone, ISP, current IP connection, operating system, latitude and longitude, local time, country, state, city network and other similar terms.
How do I find my servers’ IP address?
Just like phones, computers have IP addresses, servers also do. A server is an off sight system where network provides required information. It is an automated software which generates basic contents based on users’ demand. Every server has different IP address expressed in the dot-decimal form.
The following steps should be considered when finding your servers’ IP address
- Click the start icon on the computer screen
- Search CMD or Command Prompt and press the enter button
- Use the command nslookup followed by the domain I E.G. nslookup www.google.com and press the enter button
- Follow the command’s output by reading through till you find the Server’s name. The next line that follows with the word address will include the servers’ IP Address
- Select the Command Prompt
- At the prompt, type ping or pathping or tracert followed by the servers’ host name in
Press enter and follow the output to locate your servers’ IP Address
- Go to the terminal
- Run the command ipconfig getpacket en0
- (If you are on airport, replace en0 with en1)
- The command would produce an output. Follow through to find the server identifier
NOTE: YOUR COMPUTER HAS TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET TO RUN THROUGH THE ABOVE INSTRUCTION. ELSE, THERE WOULD BE AN ERROR MESSAGE.
How do I find my IP address on my phone?
In a situation where you do not have access to a computer, you can also locate IP address on your phone. To do this, ensure your phone is connected to a strong Wi-Fi network. If it is well connected, four dot-decimal numbers will appear.
- Select the setting icon
- Click on Wi-Fi icon
- Select the menu button and select advanced
- Scroll down to find the icon with the title IP Address. Beneath it is the phone’s private IP Address
- Select the setting icon
- Tap Wi-Fi which would display a list of connections available
- Beside the network you are connected to an information icon, select it and the details of the connected network would come into display.
- Find the IP Address entry to find your IP Address
How do I find my Wi-Fi routers IP address?
The network routers IP address can also be referred to as the Default Gateway in a business network connection. It is an avenue for devices to connect. One can locate the routers default gateway by making use of the command prompt. To get the routers IP address and to avoid an empty space, it is essential you connect your device to a strong wireless network.
The following guidelines would help you locate your Wi-Fi routers IP address easily.
- Click on the start icon
- Type CMD on the search area to launch the command prompt
- A prompt would appear, type ipconfig followed by hitting the enter button.
- A list of all network adapter connected to the device would appear
- Find the default gateway and jot down the number sequence next to it because that is your routers IP Address
ON MAC OSX
- Click the apple icon on the computer screen
- Select the system preferences icon
- Select the network icon to open the menu
- Select your network adapter in which you are connected to (It is usually the one with a green indicator)
- Trace the number following the router entry as that is our routers IP Address or default gateway.
Every information provided aims at teaching you on things that one can easily do without requesting an extra hand. As some are not really attached to the use of the internet, I made this material real and applicable so it can cover every reader’s desires. Hence, this material can only achieve its essence if the details explained are acted upon.