There are couple of things regarding Kodi is briefly mentioned in this ultimate step by step guide of Kodi for streaming purposes. So if you’re fan of streaming of sports, movies, tv shows & Live TV then you have come to the right place. The guide includes:-
- What is Kodi?
- How to Use Kodi?
- How to Install Kodi?
- What it Kodi VPN?
- Kodi Addons & Repositories
- Watch Live Sports on Kodi
- Watch TV Shows on Kodi
- Watch Netflix on Kodi
- Stream Movies on Kodi
Features of Kodi VPN
What is Kodi?
Kodi is a special kind of media player which allows you to stream your favorite content online.
Kodi has been around for a while. Starting off in 2002, the service was known as the Xbox Media Player. From 2003 until 2014, the service came to be known as the Xbox Media Center. After that, it was renamed simply as Kodi by the XBMC Foundation which works behind the scenes to deliver the service.
Kodi works on almost all kinds of devices. You can use Kodi on your computers, as well as on your smartphones and tablets. Only iOS experience problems when installing Kodi, because to use Kodi, they’ll have to jail break their devices.
See Also – Best VPN for Kodi
Using Kodi, you can watch, listen, or stream any type of content you want to. Because Kodi is an open source software, you can watch or stream almost all kinds of content on the platform.
- Kodi can play all kinds of formats including AAC, MP3, and OGG.
- On video, it can play ISO, 3D, and H.264, among other formats.
But these are not even its best features. The reason behind Kodi’s popularity is that it can stream videos from the internet. Because of its open sourced nature, Kodi allows you to put on multiple Add-ons inside the software which allow you to stream your favorite content, mostly for free.
Kodi is especially popular among cord-cutters who no longer watch sports, movies or any other stuff on cable TV. It is a much better alternative because:
- It gives users the freedom to stream anything they want to on the internet.
- They allow you to setup playlists from where you can easily play the channel of your choice.
- It’s free because you do not have to pay dozens of bucks to your cable TV provider.
- You can tinker with its UI, and personalize the software according to your wishes.
How To use Kodi – Beginner’s Guide
Learning to use Kodi isn’t too difficult. The service may be open source, but its UI is completely user-friendly, which means that you can find your favorite content with total ease.
To use Kodi for streaming purposes, you only need to follow the steps given below:
Step # 1: Choose your streaming device
Choosing the correct streaming device is important. While the service works on all major devices and is mostly user-friendly, some devices have a better chemistry with Kodi than others.
For example, it’s awfully difficult to install Kodi on your iOS device. If you really want to, you’ll have to jailbreak your iOS device first, and only then can you proceed to install Kodi.
Cord cutters recommend Chromecast as the best device to stream Kodi. Its screen mirroring option is most popular as it allows you copy whatever you’re looking at on your laptop or smartphone directly to your TV.
Step # 2: Connect your streamer with your TV
Setting up your TV for streaming is easy if your TV has an HDMI port. Using Chromecast, you can mirror anything you’re watching on your device to your TV. Other devices that you can connect with your TV are:
- Your computer
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV stick
- Roku streaming stick
Step # 3: Connect with your internet connection
To stream anything on your Kodi app, you’ll need to have an active internet connection. Make sure that your internet speed isn’t too slow. And if you’re suffering from ISP speed throttling issues, make sure that you’re connected to a streaming VPN service.
How To Install Kodi
Installing Kodi is almost a no brainer for many. The user friendliness of the service extends to its installation process, which is so easy that even an eight year old can install the software with ease.
To install Kodi on your devices, just follow the steps given below:
How to Install Kodi on Android
- Head over to Google Play store
- Type in “Kodi” in the search bar
- Install Kodi app
- Open the Kodi app
- Install add-ons and programs
Install Kodi on iPhone
Before you proceed, you need to know that Kodi can only be installed on a jailbroken iPhone. The steps below will only work if your iPhone is jailbroken.
- Open Cydiaon on your iPhone
- Tap “Manage”
- Tap on “Sources”
- On the top-left: tap on “Edit”
- On the top-right: tap on “Add”
- Now, type in the following repository address: “https://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/ios/”
- Now tap on “Add Source”
- In the Sources menu, you’ll see “team Kodi”
- Tap on “team Kodi”
- Tap on “Kodi-iOS”
- On the top right, tap on “Install” & Hit “Confirm”
How to Install Kodi on Windows 10?
- Head over to the official Kodi download page: https://kodi.tv/download/
- Pick out the version of Kodi you want to use. The most stable version at the moment is Kodi 17.4.
- Download the file and install it
How to Install Kodi on Mac OSX?
- Download Kodi’s Mac OS installer
- Drag Kodi into your applications folder
- Try out a Kodi build if you’re not satisfied with the original build (Vanilla is the most popular build)
How to Install Kodi Amazon Fire TV Stick?
Before you proceed, make sure to Turn ON both ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown.
- Go to “Settings” > “System”
- In System, click on “About”
- Now, write down your Amazon Fire TV/Stick’s IP Address
- On your PC, open the adbLink application
- In adbLink,click on “New” at the top of the screen
- In the new window, give the type in any name
- Next to the “Address,” type in the “IP Address”you copied from your Amazon Fire TV device
- Make sure the Media Center of Choice is Kodi. Now click “Save”
- On your adbLinkhome page, click on “Connect” at the top
- Once connected, you will see your “Amazon Fire TV/StickIP Address” show up in the box labeled Connected Devices
- Now, click on “Install APK”on the center left
- Next, find yourAndroid APK file & click Open it
- You will now see the installation process happening at the bottom of the window.
- You’ll now see a small window pop-up once the installation is complete. Click “OK”
- To ensure that the installation worked, check your Amazon device and check for Kodi under Apps
How to Install Kodi 17 on Apple TV
Before you proceed, you need to know that Kodi can only be installed on a jailbroken Apple TV. The steps below will only work if your Apple TV is jailbroken.
- First launch “nitoTV” from your Apple TV
- Now click on “Settings” at the top
- Select “Block Update”
- Return to “Featured Packages,” located at the top
- Select “Kodi-TVOS”
- Select Install
- Upon completion, you’ll see “Success, respring required!” Click on Respring to reboot Apple TV and finish the installation process
Install Kodi 17 on Google Chromecast
Before you begin, you need to have the following:
- A Chromecast dongle
- An HDMI compatible HDTV
- A stable Wi-Fi connection
- A computer and/or smartphone
- USB cable or a wall adapter
Because Kodi lacks native support for Chromecast, you won’t be able to run Kodi directly from your Chromecast device. There are other ways instead that you can use to watch Kodi on Chromecast.
You just need to run Kodi on your smartphone and mirror the screen on your TV via Chromecast. You can also connect your PC or Laptop to your Chromecast device and use Kodi from there.
Though it would consume a lot of your battery, it’s still the easiest way to watch Kodi on your TV.
What is Kodi VPN?
Kodi is full of all sorts of entertainment. It is loved by cord-cutters and casual streamers alike. However, those who use Kodi for streaming find several difficulties which prevent them from getting the best out of Kodi.
Because Kodi is not itself a streaming service but just a open source player which allows you to stream channels, it relies on Add-ons which allow you to stream contents of several channels. Problem is, most popular streaming channels today are either geo-blocked, or they do not provide access to their complete contents to people outside of certain regions.
Another problem experienced by cord-cutters is the speed throttling issue. Whenever an ISP realizes that a person is consuming large amounts of data to stream his favorite content online, it starts throttling the speed in order to minimize the amount of data consume and reduce the load from its servers.
In these and other cases, cord-cutters use Kodi VPN Addon to stream their favorite content online. It is incredibly helpful in streaming your favorite content online. For one, it allows you to access content from anywhere in the world. This freedom allows cord-cutters to stream geo-blocked content with ease.
Using Kodi VPN, you can watch, let’s say, a Premier League fixture live on Kodi via BT Sports channel. And because this channel isn’t available from any other region except for the UK, you will still be able to stream it, even when you’re outside UK, using Kodi VPN service.
Kodi VPN works best for users who love to stream multiple geo-blocked channels from one region only. For example, if you want to stream the US version of Netflix, but you also want access to UK’s HBO Now, Kodi VPN comes to the rescue and allows you access to all these channels without any hassles from any region in the world.
Similarly, with Kodi VPN, you can avoid speed throttling issues. This is because it creates a tunnel between you and your destination website. This tunnel enhances your privacy and disallows your ISP from realizing or finding out that you’re consuming large amounts of data each second. Therefore, you’ll be able to stream your favorite content on Kodi without any hassles.
How To Install VPN On Kodi?
To setup a VPN directly on your Kodi software, check out VPN Manager for OpenVPN. This add-on supports multiple VPN providers. You’ll have to download and install OpenVPN GUI software before you proceed. Then you’ll have to download the executable OpenVPN files from your preferred VPN provider. Once you are through this process, just follow these steps to setup the VPN on Kodi:
- Download Zomboided Repository from GitHub
- Launch Kodi
- Then go to “Add-ons” >Click on the ‘Add-on browser’ icon location at the top left corner
- Click “Install” from zip file
- Now navigate to the location from where you downloaded the Zomboided Repository zip files
- You’ll see the notification in the top-right corner once the add-on is added
- Click on Install from repository: Then go to Zomboided “Add-on Repository” -> “Services” -> “VPN Manager for OpenVPN”
- Now install the add-on and wait for “Add-on enabled” notification
- Now open the add-on & go to “Add-on Settings”
- Under the “VPN Configuration,” select the VPN Provider you want to use
- Enter your username and password
- Go to “VPN Connection” tab and select First VPN connection
- Choose your preferred server
- You can add more VPN connections by entering the servers
- Click OK and you have successfully created VPN connection on Kodi
Kodi Addons & Repositories
To get the best out of Kodi, you’ll need to download and install multiple add-ons and repositories inside your Kodi software. As we pointed out above.
The only reason why it’s so popular is because of its open-sources nature, which allows anyone to create Add-ons from where people can stream their favorite content online. Because of this exact reason, there are hundreds, or perhaps thousands, of add-ons available on the internet which have different features and allow people to stream content.
Some of these Add-ons are legal and are officially provided by Kodi itself. Most of these require subscription fees however, but they provide better quality and results to those who are using them for streaming purposes.
However, the most popular ones are usually available for free because of obvious reasons. These add-ons are obviously illegal but remain available on Kodi’s service because of its open-sourced nature.
Some of the most popular Kodi Addons & repositories are:
- Ares Repository
- MMA Planet
- Wrestling on Demand
- Noobs and Nerds
- Bob Unrestricted
- Mucky Duck
Watch Live TV On Kodi
It is no surprise that Kodi is also used by cord-cutters to watch live television. Because modern cable TV isn’t good enough to satisfy the appetite of watching live television, cord cutters turn to Kodi instead so they can stream TV channels with complete ease.
With Kodi, you cannot only stream live TV but you can also record your favorite moments on your device. The software is filled up with all the best features so you enjoy awesome entertainment while you’re using Kodi.
However, in order to stream live TV on Kodi, you’ll need to use one of many backend services that support this feature. These include MediaPortal, MythTV, TVheadend, and NextPVR.
Stream Sports On Kodi 17
Multiple leagues sell television rights to different media companies, sports lovers sometimes find it hard to watch their favorite games without any hassles. Most of the times, users are unable to watch a particular game live because the channel broadcasting that match has geo-restrictions and is inaccessible from most locations around the world.
Kodi provides the best solution in such cases. It allows people to stream their favorite channels live without any hassles. You can watch the game of your choice with ease.
See Also: Best UFC Addon On Kodi
There are hundreds of add-ons available on Kodi which are exclusively for sports lovers and only broadcast sports matches to users. Fortunately, many Add-ons aren’t geo-blocked and are available around the world. Some however, are either completely geo-blocked, or have channels which are only available in some regions. For that you need a Kodi VPN Addon .
Stream Latest TV Shows On Kodi 17
Like your favorite sports channels, you can also stream your favorite TV shows live on Kodi. Be it Game of Thrones or Stranger Things, all these TV shows are available on Kodi and can be streamed live anytime.
Like we mentioned above, many popular add-ons and channels are unavailable in many different locations. This is because of geo-restrictions. Fortunately, you can stream bypass these geo-restrictions and stream your favorite channels with ease. To do that, refer to Kodi VPN guide above.
See Also: Best TV SHOW Addon on Kodi
Because of Kodi’s ever-growing popularity, it’s now being filled up with all the best add-ons that you can use to get the best entertainment. Because Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services available right now, it was only time before its very own dedicated Add-on would appear for Kodi users.
Netflix’s very own dedicated add-on, NetfliXMBC, allows users to stream their favorite Netflix shows on the world’s most popular media center. You can easily learn to setup NetfliXMBC add-on on your Kodi software by following the steps given here.
To get the best out of Netflix add-on for Kodi, we recommend that you subscribe to a VPN service and connect to servers located in the US. Though, Netflix is now available in almost every region, its best content is still only available to people inside the US. Therefore, to get the best out of Netflix add-on you’ll need to have a VPN add-on installed.
See Also: Watch TV Shows On Kodi
To install VPN add-on for Netflix, refer to the steps in the Kodi VPN section above.
Stream Latest Movies On Kodi
While some use Kodi to livestream Sports, TV shows, and other similar content, a bigger audience uses Kodi to stream their favorite movies online on their devices.
If you want to stream movies from online sources, you’ll find that Kodi is one of the best options around for this purpose. A large number of Kodi add-ons stream your favorite movies, allowing you to easily access tens of thousands of films online.
The following are some of the best add-ons to stream movies on Kodi:
- SALTS (Stream All the Sources)
- BBC iPlayer (iPlayer WWW)
You can learn more about streaming movies on Kodi through our exclusive blog on this topic.
See Also: Best Movie Addons on Kodi
Though only an open-source software which allows users to watch, listen to, or stream their favorite content online, Kodi has become incredibly popular around the world because it allows people to play with it easily.
Since its introduction, more people have started cord-cutting than ever before. Its variety of options which allow people to stream their favorite content online, Kodi will only continue to grow in popularity in the coming years.
Because, most streaming services aren’t available around the world because of geo-blocking policies, it is through a VPN that you can get the best out of Kodi. We’ve explained all the steps you need to follow to setup VPN in your Kodi above. We hope that our efforts to explain everything about Kodi will be appreciated by cord-cutters from around the world.