The Jeddah Corniche Circuit final alterations to the Formula 1 street track are detailed by FIA race director Niels Wittich ahead of this weekend’s 2nd Saudi Arabian Grand Prix on March 27th, 2022.
To make the circuit faster not only sight lines are enhanced but also the last corner is tweaked somewhat.
The FIA confirmed following Changes at Jeddah Corniche Circuit
The exit of Turn 27, where Max Verstappen crashed at the end of qualifying last year is now enlarged. Steel plates have also been put at the corners to form shoulders that should allow the cars to pass the barriers more often without causing damage.
- 2 to 4 – The left-hand side barriers are pushed back to increase sight.
- 4 Apex – The concrete barriers now have a smooth face.
- 14 Apex – The barriers are pushed back around 1.5 meters to increase sight.
- 16 Apex – The concrete barriers now have a smooth face.
- 21 Apex – To increase sight, the barriers have been pushed back around 1.5 meters.
- 22 Apex – The concrete barriers now have a smooth face.
- 24 Apex – The concrete barriers now have a smooth face.
- 27 Exit – The track has been expanded to 12 meters.
What Racers Have to Say?
Racers believes the sport’s governing bodies need to improve the track more, the changes aren’t enough!
“I was commenting with Charles that they just moved the wall but the driving line will still be close to the wall. Which means our visibility doesn’t improve’’– Carlos Sainz
George Russell said the circuit “lacks a lot from a safety perspective and a racing perspective”.
The rest of the track’s layout is identical for Saudi Grand Prix. The same 3 DRS zones and detection locations around the 27 turn course as last year. The first starts 170 meters after the final corner. The second at the entry to turn 25, and the third at the exit of turn 19. The official length of the circuit, however, remains at 6.174 kilometers.
In a Nutshell!
All of the additional features to the circuit, vehicles, and tires are implemented to thrill racers and increase fan interest on Sunday, March 27th at the Jeddah Circuit, but looks like racers were expecting more!